Friday, July 29, 2011

Chicken Shepherd's Pie

I have to say that I love potatoes. Whether it's french fries or mashed potatoes swimming in gravy, I just love them. When I was younger, I heard that consumption of potatoes contributes to an ample bust. Nowadays, I share this tidbit with everyone else, adding that if you stuff your bra with a potato, you will indeed get that decolletage you are dreaming of. LOL.

But seriously, who doesn't love mashed potatoes? Shepherd's Pie (or Cottage Pie) is a meat pie with a mashed potato crust. Here is the recipe of a Chicken Shepherd's Pie.

Chicken Shepherd's Pie
Ingredients:
1/2 kg of chicken fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, grated
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup of corn kernels
1 cup cream of mushroom
1 small can of mushroom, drained
4 large potatoes
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:
1. In a pot, put in the potatoes and add enough water to cover them. Add salt. Boil until tender. Drain. Mash the potatoes. Add the butter, milk, cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, cook the filling. Saute the garlic and onion in a pan. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink. Add the mushrooms and the corn. Lastly, add in the cream of mushroom. Simmer to thicken the sauce a bit.
3. In an ovenproof casserole, pour the filling in. Spoon the mashed potatoes over the filling evenly. Top with a few knobs of butter. Bake in a 400° F oven for 20 minutes or until mashed potatoes have browned.


I forgot to take a picture of after I took it out of the oven. So the only pictures I have are these:

The filling

Ready for the oven

Happy cooking!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment